Thursday, November 6, 2008

Favorite Approach to Design

I approach design in a way that puts functionality over aesthetics. Not too long ago, I was really trying to think of what I want to do with a career like this because, although it would be fun, I don't want to just have a job that only involves making stuff look cool.

More specifically, I am currently designing a desktop computer for a sponsored studio with HP. Our main goal is to end with a product that is sustainable and will thrive in the marketplace. Usually in past products I end up forgetting what my initial goal is. I used to focus primarily on how the product looked as opposed to what it will do for the consumer. I am doing my best to constantly think of my demographic and how this computer will affect their lifestyle (positively as well as negatively).

In addition to this, it's a lot easier to make something look cool than it is to make something that will improve someone's life. I feel like truly successful design will make a drastic impact on someones life.

No comments: